New Year, New resolutions, New blog post.
In addition to my normal “let me be better” goals of lose weight, exercise more, drink less, don’t smoke, blah blah blah…. I REALLY do want to get to back to writing on the blog on a semi-regular basis (ie: weekly).
But here’s the rub. Writing on the blog is kind of a pain in the ass.
Let me e’splain… No, it’s too much… Let me sum up ..
- I need access to a computer. I’m a busy bee. I’m not home that often. I have a smartphone. Updating a Facebook status with my thumbs is easy. It’s quick. It’s painless. It offers immediate gratification.
- I do not run diagnostics on either my Facebook page or the blog. I should, but I don’t. I don’t have the time (or quite frankly, the interest). This means I have no idea who is reading what, where they come from, how they got here or how many people are visiting on a regular basis.
- I can glance at Facebook with my vodka-addled ADD brain and see that I’ve gained 1000 new followers that day or I can visit my blog and approve the 2-5 comments that came in that week.
- I can spend hours crafting a beautifully written, heart felt blog post about my children, parenting, the death of a soldier, or any other REAL topic and it may elicit a few comments. I can update my Facebook status to read “I made poo-poo” and it will gain one thousand LIKES and hundreds of comments in under an hour.
Why should this matter? Shouldn’t I just write because I want to write?
Yes, I should.. And mostly I just want to write on Facebook.
Except for when I don’t.
I’ve developed an unhealthy love/hate relationship with Zuckerberg’s love child. It’s the 6th entity in my family. It’s an integral part of my daily life. It gives me joy. It makes me giggle. It makes me love many people fiercely and makes me want to run others over with my car.
However, at the end of the day… I am a grown ass woman. I make my choices. I have thick skin. I choose to keep the page open because the good VASTLY outweighs the bad. For every unhappy asshole, there are 1000 of you who either A) enjoy what your are reading or B) don’t agree with or enjoy every post but are adults and know that if you start disliking more than you like, you can very easily click a button and Hot Mess Mom will be nothing but a distant memory.
I think it’s important to realize what kind of people start Facebook PAGES.
- Individuals who believe they have something to say that absolutely MUST be heard by the masses.
- Attention whores
- Anyone with an internet connection and opposable thumbs.
What does this mean? It means that literally ANYONE can start a Facebook page. And it’s up to YOU.. YOU, the reader… YOU, the owner of your destiny…the master of your domain… YOU, the grown ass men and women that you are… it’s up to YOU to decide which, if any, pages you wish you follow.
There are pages about religion, spiritually, parenting, faith, hatred, abortion, politics, birds, squirrels, cute kitten pics, abuse, rape, addiction, support, recovery, and every other topic under the sun. Add to those the fucktillion pages that are nothing but memes about how much Monday’s suck, how wonderful coffee and wine are, and how everyone else can go fuck themselves.
I am not any of those pages. I do not espouse to offer guidance, inspiration or cute pictures.
If you LIKE a page that describes itself as the above, and are later shocked or disappointed that you are being forced to look at pictures of MY vacation or what I am making for dinner… then be a fucking grown-up and say to yourself “Self, I’ve made a terrible mistake. I do not like this page, I’m going to go away now”. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
In the two years of HMM’s existence, I have never asked to be “shared” by a larger page. This has resulted in 150,000 of you who have clicked that little thumby bastard by your own volition. And 99% of you (us) are like-minded individuals who just want to laugh at the ridiculousness of life. Some of you have vacation homes and others mobile homes. Some of you summer in Europe while others struggle to feed their families. We don’t have a niche. We don’t need one. What we have in common is a desire to escape the daily grind if only for a moment, and the ability to laugh at our own messiness.
So, please.. stick around. But for the love of God, play nice. And when random strangers take the time (out of their very fulfilling lives) to tell me what a useless piece of shit, braggart, bad parent, narcissist, attention whore, spoiled brat I am.. I am allowed to fight back. This doesn’t make me a bully. It makes me human. And if someone is going to behave in an assholish manner on a large page, then chances are the page owner is going to defend themselves and the rest of their readers. In the case of Hot Mess Mom.. if you’re gonna be a dick, prepare to fall victim to “Wrath of the Messes”. They are wonderfully loyal people who watch over their own. They also won’t hesitate to cut a mother fucker when provoked.
Phew! Now that THAT is off my chest… Here’s to a wonderful 2014… I really am going to try to write more. For realz…
If you liked this post, please consider leaving a comment, share, or subscribe to RSS feed
RELATED POSTS & INTERESTS