A trip to the Dollar Store is always a crash course in sociology. My visits are preceded by equal amounts of dread and excitement. Will it be clean? Will it be dirty? How many people will be wearing slippers? Will there be anyone buying their wedding supplies from the party aisle? How many children will I see being spanked? How many children will run around wild and not get spanked? Will anyone have curlers in their hair? A hairnet? Is today “bread day”? The day that the bread gets delivered is a mad house! I’ve only witnessed it once, but it’s reminicent of when Tickle Me Elmo hit Toys R Us… (And FYI- there is a limit of loaves of bread per person…. it’s a very hot commodity)
If I’m being totally honest, I love the Dollar Store… There is no better place to purchase party supplies, themed trinkets, and holiday decor. Mylar baloons, gift bags, poster boards and cleaning supplies are seriously about 1/4 of the price at a regular store. Of course, I never leave there having spent less than $100. Never. Everything is so cheap.. Why buy only one fake heart and disected finger when you can buy 10?? (My trip today was for some additional Halloween decorations. Obviously).
That all being said.. I have drawn a line in the sand regarding items that I believe are appropriate to purchase from the Dollar Store.
- Halloween decorations? OKAY!
- Cleaning Supplies? SURE!
- Shampoo/ Conditioner/ Body Wash? Maybe– I wouldn’t buy it for myself, but I will use it in the boys’ bathroom. They barely use it anyway…
- Kitchenwares? Absolutely! I’ve bought wine glasses, bowls, platters, etc. I have an entire box of “extra glasses” for when we have parties. They are all Dollar Store purchases…
- Party Supplies? No better place!
- Hammers? Screwdriver? Kitchen rags? Flashlights? Absolutely! Go to town!!
- Wedding Decor? Okay… here is where I get a little judgy, but if that’s what you can afford.. go for it.
- Cheese Doodles and other food items? I say no, but again.. I get that it may be a good deal for someone… probably the lady in the slippers.
Here is where my HELL NO comes into play.
You CANNOT purchase ovulation predictors, pregnancy tests, yeast infection medication or vaginal lube from the Dollar Store. You just can’t! I have no basis for my very strong opinion on this issue, but I just feel that it is WRONG. So, so wrong. (the manager was glaring at me while I was taking this picture. I told him I was emailing the picture to my husband to see which lube he preferred)
So… to recap: Halloween trinkets: GREAT purchase at the Dollar Store!
HELL NO Dollar Store Purchases: personal lube and toothepaste that was discontinued in the 80′s. HELLS NO PEOPLE! HELLS NO!!
If you liked this post, please consider leaving a comment, share, or subscribe to RSS feed
RELATED POSTS & INTERESTS