Soooo, Hot Mess Mom has had such wonderful feedback in it’s very short 3 week life. I am overwhelmed by the number of site visits, the comments and the positive feedback. I have become an official member of the blogesphere. Or Not.
Prior to starting HMM, I had never read a blog. Ever. Okay, that’s not totally true… of course I had read about Copernicus the Monkey and Beyonce the Chicken, as they had gone viral on Facebook and made me pee my pants. But other than those 2 posts, I had not entered bloggerdom.
I’ve gotten a lot of feedback advising me to read other blogs, whore myself out on Twitter, comment on other bloggers, share, like, share, like, and post. So this weekend that is exactly what I did. I checked out dozens of Mommy Blogs, “followed” mommy’s on twitter, and read post after post after post.
I didn’t like it. It made me second guess what I was posting. Other people write differently, are more serious, curse more, curse less, are funnier, or cooler. Am I doing this wrong? Who the fuck is Dooce? And then I got so pissed at myself, because again… I am supposed to be blogging for ME! Not to get more fans, not to please every Tom, Dick, and Harriett, and certainly not to become the next Dooce. ( I googled her.. and apparently she is WAY successful).
So this is what I learned/ observed/ loved/ hated during my short foray into bloggerdom:
- I don’t care. Period. I just don’t. I don’t want to read other blogs. I’m just not that interested in other peoples shit. And I’m not going to comment on your child’s temper tantrum. (But yes… I totally want you to comment on ALL of my stuff. Really. I do. Apparently I’m needier than I thought)
- The blogs I enjoyed the most and related to, I don’t want to read. I don’t want to forget my voice and learn theirs without realizing it. This does not mean I’ll never visit, but I feel like I need to really hit my groove first.
- The blogs listed as “Humor” I don’t find funny, but I giggle at the blogs listed as “Controversial”
- A lot of mommy bloggers cover some really serious stuff.
- A lot of mommy bloggers cover nothing.
- A lot of mommy bloggers cover sex.
- Some take themselves WAY too seriously.
- Women are VERY proud of themselves for breast feeding.
There are whole sites devoted to one facet of a person’s life! Special-needs children, childbirth methods, autism, allergies, infants, toddlers, tween, teens, babies who want to be models, husbands, sex, working moms, etc… All very very cool sites with some really good information.
I have some more opinions:
- Natural childbirth? ~~~~~~~ Sure! If the year is 1700 and you have no other choice. Turning down free drugs while pushing a baby out of your vagina does not make you better than me. Only Dumber.
- Home Schooling? ~~~ Fuck you. No.
- Breast Feeding? ~~~~ absolutely! If you want to. If you don’t want to , that’s fine too!
- Breast Feeding until your child is 4 years old? ~~~~~ Fuck you. No.
- An entire blog devoted to scrapbooking? ~~ REALLY??
- If your kids are fucked up, just admit that they are fucked up. They are not “strong-willed”, “unique”, or “independant”. They are fucked up. Just acknowledge it. It’s probably not your fault. Or maybe it totally is… Either way- just say it aloud. You’ll feel better.
- Kids can be fucked up and totally fucking awesome at the same time. I wish more mommy’s would realize and appreciate that.
- Admitting that you are shitty mother~~~ awesome.
- Being a martry~~~ Not awesome.
- Admitting that you are an amazing mother~~~Totally awesome! Not enough of us do that.
- Admitting that you are an amazing mother and somehow your kids are still fucked up?~~ my soul mate(s).
- If you have nothing to say, you really shouldn’t post.
- Actually, I take that back– it’s YOUR blog.. If you want to post nonsense… go right ahead.
- The “you must post every day” advice that I recieved will be ignored from this point forward. I will post when I have something to say. No just to hear myself type. Unless I want to. In which case I will.
- If you have alcohol in your name (ie: Whiskeydrinkingmomof11orphans.com), I feel bonded to you.
- If you have alcohol in your name and the 3 posts I read are about your dog, your lost cat, or your ingrown toenail, I am seriously disappointed. Seriously.
- Bloggers who include “tips” on their blogs for other bloggers~~~ Awesome.. Really… So nice! And really helpful.
- Twitter~~~ I hate it. I don’t understand it. I don’t know how to use it. I don’t want hourly updates from Parenting Magazine . Please tell me WHY I have to have followers on Twitter? I just don’t understand. And also, I have to keep blocking Porn Stars from following me. Why? WHY??? (These questions are not rhetorical.. I would really love someone to explain this to me. All of it)
So, what this all boils down to is that I will probably never make “Babble’s Top 50 Mommy Bloggers” or any other ranking for that matter. I just cannot feign the interest to do the networking required. And if becoming a “Top Mommy Blogger” is my goal~~ will I censor myself differently than if I’m just writing for me? I think so. Unconsciously, of course, but I really think it would.
Which means that if are reading this.. you are stuck with me. As I am. Today. I will post as often as I have something to say. ( which is generally a lot). I love your comments and look forward to them with every post.
If I post too much~ tough.
If I post too little~ oh well.
I must remind myself daily that this is for me!! And hopefully you can get some laughs/ insight/ anger(?) from it too.
Thank you so much for going on this journey with me! It’s going to be a fun ride!
If you liked this post, please consider leaving a comment, share, or subscribe to RSS feed
RELATED POSTS & INTERESTS